Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in Thy sight, O Lord, my Strength and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14

Thursday, February 10, 2011

This and that...with a whole lot of Pictures!

I have been trying to decide where this blog should go.  Should I blog on a regular schedule?  Should I blog only when I feel led?  Who am I trying to reach?  What should I blog about?  I have so many questions with no answers yet.  But with God's leading I will get to the bottom of this!  So if you would, please pray for me and this blog.  I really want this to glorify His name in everything I say!

In the mean time, here are a few things that are going on around this ole homestead!  Okay, for anyone that knows me, it's not quite a homestead....but it will be...eventually!  I am preparing to start a book that I picked up at the Home school Convention last year.  It's called Backyard Homestead edited by Carleen Madigan.


It seems very thorough and interesting.  I am excited to pour over it.  I am expecting to learn alot and I will share as soon as I can.  I just really believe that we need to be good stewards of EVERYTHING God has blessed us with.  Because of that, I want to use what land we have, whether it's big or small, to grow as much as we can to sustain life.  The miracle I see every time a seed sprouts keeps me in awe of His Majesty!  By growing what we eat, that nourishes our bodies and keeps us alive and healthy will only point to the Awesomeness of the Most High!  Only through Him and His provisions is that possible!  Glory be to God and His Everlasting Kindness and Mercy!
Because of this I started my tomato plants a few days ago!  I am so excited to see them emerge from their little homemade pots!  Here's a quick peek...


I love the idea of decomposable, FREE! planters!  Thank you to Thy Hand Hath Provided!  Easy tutorial to follow.  So simple and frugal!  I am going to try container planting this year for some of our most beloved produce!  Until I figure out this southern soil and how to keep the deer from enjoying the garden, I must keep the plants close at hand!  I am starting to plan the rest of the "garden".  Trying to decide what will produce well in containers and what won't.  This is a whole new way of gardening for me, so if anyone has any pointers, please feel free to leave a comment or an email!  I would appreciate any help!

I am also working on canning.  I'm still trying to figure that out too!  My mom, so thoughtfully bought me a large pressure canner for Christmas, and I LOVE IT!  Thanks mom!  I canned recently with it.  I made tortilla bean soup, (one of our faves!)  and canned 10 quarts and froze three large bags!  So yummy and an incredibly easy meal!  I also purchased  a Food Saver recently.  Oh my goodness!  I think that everyone needs one of these in their kitchen!  I have used it so much already!  Just something to think about.  :-)


 Anyway, I have all of the ingredients for chili.  I may whip up a batch and go to town on it!  I am hoping to get at least 10 quarts of that too.  We shall see.  I love canning and the idea of preserving our food.  My ultimate goal is to grow most of what we need and preserve it.  The things that we can't produce here I would like to start purchasing from a local farm.  The idea that the grocery store chains of bondage would be broken from me, is exhilarating!  Soon...very soon!  Here's a little of what I have in the pantry already...the pickles are a blessing from my very dear neighbor...


What else...oh yes...IT IS SO COLD!  Seriously, since we are from up North, this weather should not be a problem.  But it is!  My blood has thinned!  The south isn't supposed to be this cold!  We are hovering in the 20's!  Oh, but alas, next week is supposed to be in the high 60's to low 70's.  I thought I'd share a picture of some berries that are on a bush right outside my door.  Very unusual for around these parts...so I hear!:-)


Yes, that is ice clinging to the berries! Brr!  I will soon have a fire blazing in our little fireplace!  Here is one from the other night.


Cozy...right?!  I just need to will myself out to the porch to get the wood!  Yikes!  I might as well though,  Soon my girly will have to potty!


One last thing...I have decided, from inspiration from another blog, to make a real effort in scripture memorization.  I always have Arrow memorize scripture, why shouldn't I?!  So I have chosen a few verses to begin with and I have written them on a few cards and placed them around the house.  Definitely one by the kitchen sink!  I wonder why? ;-)


Rejoice always.  Pray without ceasing.  Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.  1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
What a great scripture.  We must always remember to give thanks in everything!  Our Father is a loving God who cares for us, so deeply!  We must trust Him.  Not only that, but also must be thankful for His judgment! Pray without ceasing, always!  We must be in communication with God all the time!  He is our ultimate Friend and Lover!  He knows us more intimately than anyone else, and He wants a deep, deep relationship with us.  What better way to have that, then to pray without ceasing!

Blessings for today!  Get much accomplished and Rejoice!  Love to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kind words are welcome and appreciated!