Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in Thy sight, O Lord, my Strength and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Blueberry - Lemon Muffins

Oh my!  I was in the mood to make a sweet treat the other night so I pulled out my very favorite cookbook...The Motezuma Amish Mennonite Cookbook.  I haven't had a great deal of success with recipes out of this book, simply because the Amish tend to cook large amounts at one time.  Well, since there is only three of us, it has been difficult halving and even quartering the recipes.  Not because I can't do math, but because the recipes tend to be a bit vague.  But I try! 
So I pulled out the cookbook and flipped it open...and there on page 22 was Blueberry-Lemon Muffins.  It calls for fresh blueberries and lemon rind.  Surprisingly, I had both of those!  (That is rare!)  So I whipped up a batch and can I just say that they were INCREDIBLE!  So moist and so full of flavor!  They remained moist for the three days it took us to eat them!  So I am going to share the recipe because it is worth trying!  I'll write the actual recipe with my notes beside each ingredient.  Yes...I tweaked a bit! :-)

1 3/4 cup of flour  (I use unbleached white)
1/2 cup of sugar 
2 1/2 t. baking powder
3/4 t. salt  (I use sea salt)
3/4 cup of milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I use xtra virgin olive oil)
1 egg, beaten
1 cup blueberries (I used frozen fresh and used approx. 1 1/4 cup)
2 T. sugar
1 t. grated lemon rind (I grated the rind off the entire lemon and used all of it.  Not sure the measurement.  And then used the lemon juice with a dash of Stevia to make me and the Mister each a glass of fresh lemonade!:-)

Combine flour, 1/2 c sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.  Make a well in the center of mixture.  Combine milk, oil and egg;  add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.  Add blueberries with 2 T sugar and lemon rind;  gently fold into batter.  Spoon into greased or lined muffin tins, filling 2/3 full.  Bake 400 degrees for 25 minutes until golden brown.  Makes 12 muffins.

Seriously make these muffins!  They were delicious!  Enjoy and let me know what you think!


Blessings for a restful Lord's Day!  Worship The Almighty!  Praise His Name with everything in you!
Love to all of you....
                     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kind words are welcome and appreciated!